Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Blessings in Disguise

So, today is the first time I have been in a car accident.  Before you worry too much, yes, I am okay and so are the kids.  And yes, the other driver is okay too.  Long story short, I was making a left hand turn and wanted to get to the median before entering the other side of traffic.  I saw that there was one car who had their blinker on to turn right and assumed everything was clear.  Somehow I missed the other car that was in the inner lane so as I started to turn into the median, I saw the car coming at me.  He slammed his breaks, I pushed the gas to try and get out of the way without throwing myself into the other traffic.  I thought we were in the clear, but I was wrong.  I felt the tap as he hit my back left bumper and I saw that his front left bumper was crunched.  After filling out and accident report and me getting my first ticket (yeah, lots of firsts) we parted ways.  Luckily we were both okay and he was very friendly and helpful at the same time.  I, of course, apologized constantly, and in my head I was grateful that we were all okay.

So, I got to thinking and realized that I had a prompting to bypass this section of the road and instead of taking this shortcut, to head out to the main intersection.  If I had listened, accident avoided.  But, because I didn't listen, well, let's just say I learned my lesson.  Despite the bit of damage and the accident and the ticket, we are all okay and I have most definitely learned my lesson.

We came home for lunch and I said the prayer and thanked Heavenly Father for keeping us safe.  Eliza asked why I did that and so I explained to her that we should give thanks for everything.  This crazy situation turned out to be a good teaching lesson for my kids as well as a lesson on heeding the promptings of the Spirit.  My blessing in disguise.

2 comments: